An Evening of Networking & Tech Talks, Presented by PowerToFly + Checkr
If you live in the San Francisco area and you are interested in attending this event, please email email@example.com to be considered for an invite.
After a sold-out event with Checkr's engineering team last year, PowerToFly have re-teamed with Checkr to present another invite-only evening of tech talks and networking with an impressive roster of women tech leaders.
The event will take place on Tuesday, June 11th from 6pm to 9pm at Checkr's HQ, located at 120 Kearny Street, Suite 2400, San Francisco.
Agenda (subject to change)
- 6:00pm - 6:25pm - Networking & Food
- 6:25pm 6:30 - Kickoff with PowerToFly
- 6:30pm - 6:40pm - Welcome message from Checkr's Co-founder & CTO Jonathan Perichon
- 6:40pm - 7:20pm - Tech Talk featuring: Melissa Lau & Ben Jacobson
- API & Communication
- We have found some limitations in only using JSON-based RESTful APIs to communicate between services. Moving to gRPC has allowed us to better document interfaces and enforce stronger boundaries between services. In this session we will share the lessons we have learned while incorporating gRPC into our application, walkthrough setting up a new rails project with gRPC support, and how we plan to expand our usage of gRPC in the future.
- API & Communication
- 7:20pm - 7:30pm - Audience QA
- 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Tech Talk featuring: Faye Cheng & Katrina Lee
- SAML, SSO & You
- Ever wonder what mechanics lie behind Single Sign-On (SSO)? How you can log into an application once, and find yourself automatically logged in when you access another? Here at Checkr, the Identity team is enabling SAML integrations with our partners to achieve just that. SAML is a standard protocol used by web browsers to enable SSO through the use of secure tokens. We'll discuss how SAML allows for a safe exchange of authentication and authorization data between parties, and how browsers can trust and protect your identity information across applications.
- SAML, SSO & You
- 8:00pm - 8:10pm - Audience QA
- 8:10pm - 9:00pm Networking
Why You Should Get to Know Checkr:
Checkr is making waves with their innovative hiring process! They're a platform that makes it easy for thousands of customers to hire millions of people every year. Today, only five years after Checkr started, the company is running one million background checks per month for more than 10,000 customers, allowing them to create a more efficient hiring process. Their impressive list of clients include Lyft, Grubhub and Zillow.
How You Fit In:
You may or may not be looking for new opportunities at the moment. Either way, we want you in the room with us! Also, Checkr is hiring, so we want to introduce women like you to their team and share stories and conversations.Their amazing benefits include flexible paid time off, meaningful equity, catered lunches, hands-on coaching and professional development, 12 weeks of paid family leave, and wellness & gym membership reimbursements.
Check out photos from our recent Checkr event HERE. Here is what one attendee had to say about our past event with Checkr: "I enjoyed the speakers and the content presented was great. I liked that the topics revolved around understanding women and diversity and how the company culture is fitting to involving more women. It looks like a very good company and full of great people."
About our Events: All RSVP'd attendees are welcome, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, or age. If you require accommodation to fully participate in this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will contact you to discuss your specific needs.
Unfortunately, PowerToFly and Checkr cannot admit outside recruiters to this particular event. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about this policy.
Learn more about our amazing speakers and sponsors at our April 2021 virtual summit Diversity Reboot: Elevating Black Women, three days of conversations and panels plus an interactive virtual career fair.
From everyone here at PowerToFly we want to extend a BIG thank you to everyone who tuned into last week's Diversity Reboot: Elevating Black Women. In case you missed a talk or you'd like to revisit one of our great conversations, don't worry, all of the fireside chats and panels will be available to watch for free on PowerToFly soon.
We were thrilled to present conversations on such important subjects as the racial wealth gap, the importance of affordable child care, how BIPOC youth are leading the way on combatting the climate crisis, the importance of black women in entrepreneurship and business, being an ally for communities outside of your own, plus tech talks, fireside chats with Black woman founders, panels with DEI leaders and much more.
Kiana Labuhn, Recruiter at S&P Global, shares an exclusive take on the most important tips to keep in mind when preparing for an interview.
How Bumble’s Director of Engineering Learned to Be Herself at Work—and Encourages Team Members to Do the Same
Rose Hitchcock found out she was pregnant with her third child halfway through the process of interviewing to be Director of Engineering at Bumble.
She told the team at the social media and dating app and that didn't change their plans to hire her. "They were completely fine with it, really supportive," says Rose.
You've met some of them—maybe they're your family, friends, classmates, or coworkers, or perhaps you identify as neurodivergent yourself.