An Evening of Networking & Tech Talks, Presented by PowerToFly + Checkr
If you live in the San Francisco area and you are interested in attending this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for an invite.
After a sold-out event with Checkr's engineering team last year, PowerToFly have re-teamed with Checkr to present another invite-only evening of tech talks and networking with an impressive roster of women tech leaders.
The event will take place on Tuesday, June 11th from 6pm to 9pm at Checkr's HQ, located at 120 Kearny Street, Suite 2400, San Francisco.
Agenda (subject to change)
- 6:00pm - 6:25pm - Networking & Food
- 6:25pm 6:30 - Kickoff with PowerToFly
- 6:30pm - 6:40pm - Welcome message from Checkr's Co-founder & CTO Jonathan Perichon
- 6:40pm - 7:20pm - Tech Talk featuring: Melissa Lau & Ben Jacobson
- API & Communication
- We have found some limitations in only using JSON-based RESTful APIs to communicate between services. Moving to gRPC has allowed us to better document interfaces and enforce stronger boundaries between services. In this session we will share the lessons we have learned while incorporating gRPC into our application, walkthrough setting up a new rails project with gRPC support, and how we plan to expand our usage of gRPC in the future.
- API & Communication
- 7:20pm - 7:30pm - Audience QA
- 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Tech Talk featuring: Faye Cheng & Katrina Lee
- SAML, SSO & You
- Ever wonder what mechanics lie behind Single Sign-On (SSO)? How you can log into an application once, and find yourself automatically logged in when you access another? Here at Checkr, the Identity team is enabling SAML integrations with our partners to achieve just that. SAML is a standard protocol used by web browsers to enable SSO through the use of secure tokens. We'll discuss how SAML allows for a safe exchange of authentication and authorization data between parties, and how browsers can trust and protect your identity information across applications.
- SAML, SSO & You
- 8:00pm - 8:10pm - Audience QA
- 8:10pm - 9:00pm Networking
Why You Should Get to Know Checkr:
Checkr is making waves with their innovative hiring process! They're a platform that makes it easy for thousands of customers to hire millions of people every year. Today, only five years after Checkr started, the company is running one million background checks per month for more than 10,000 customers, allowing them to create a more efficient hiring process. Their impressive list of clients include Lyft, Grubhub and Zillow.
How You Fit In:
You may or may not be looking for new opportunities at the moment. Either way, we want you in the room with us! Also, Checkr is hiring, so we want to introduce women like you to their team and share stories and conversations.Their amazing benefits include flexible paid time off, meaningful equity, catered lunches, hands-on coaching and professional development, 12 weeks of paid family leave, and wellness & gym membership reimbursements.
Check out photos from our recent Checkr event HERE. Here is what one attendee had to say about our past event with Checkr: "I enjoyed the speakers and the content presented was great. I liked that the topics revolved around understanding women and diversity and how the company culture is fitting to involving more women. It looks like a very good company and full of great people."
About our Events: All RSVP'd attendees are welcome, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, or age. If you require accommodation to fully participate in this event, please email email@example.com, and we will contact you to discuss your specific needs.
Unfortunately, PowerToFly and Checkr cannot admit outside recruiters to this particular event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this policy.
The Most Interesting Technical Field You've Never Heard Of: Talking GIS and Geointelligence with NGA's MaryAnne Tong
If I asked you what GIS—geographic information systems—is, would you know where to begin?
MaryAnne Tong does: Google Maps.
5 Tips from VideoAmp's Kelly Metz on Learning to Listen, Seeking Out Discomfort, and Building a Career You Love
Kelly Metz was on her thirtieth rewatch of a video her team was producing when it hit her: creativity wasn't her strong suit.
"I just missed the things my peers saw," explains Kelly. "I was blind to them."
A five-step framework for addressing systematic racism at work
The world has changed in the past few weeks.
We're watching corporations and organizations across the world come out in support of Black lives in droves. Many of those organizations are doing so for the first time in their history.
A Conversation with Bounteous' Jen Spofford
Jen Spofford would tell you that she never had her sights set on becoming a partner at The Archer Group, an advertising agency acquired earlier this year by digital transformation agency Bounteous.
Her former boss would beg to differ.