An Evening of Networking & Tech Talks, Presented by PowerToFly + Checkr
If you live in the San Francisco area and you are interested in attending this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for an invite.
After a sold-out event with Checkr's engineering team last year, PowerToFly have re-teamed with Checkr to present another invite-only evening of tech talks and networking with an impressive roster of women tech leaders.
The event will take place on Tuesday, June 11th from 6pm to 9pm at Checkr's HQ, located at 120 Kearny Street, Suite 2400, San Francisco.
Agenda (subject to change)
- 6:00pm - 6:25pm - Networking & Food
- 6:25pm 6:30 - Kickoff with PowerToFly
- 6:30pm - 6:40pm - Welcome message from Checkr's Co-founder & CTO Jonathan Perichon
- 6:40pm - 7:20pm - Tech Talk featuring: Melissa Lau & Ben Jacobson
- API & Communication
- We have found some limitations in only using JSON-based RESTful APIs to communicate between services. Moving to gRPC has allowed us to better document interfaces and enforce stronger boundaries between services. In this session we will share the lessons we have learned while incorporating gRPC into our application, walkthrough setting up a new rails project with gRPC support, and how we plan to expand our usage of gRPC in the future.
- API & Communication
- 7:20pm - 7:30pm - Audience QA
- 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Tech Talk featuring: Faye Cheng & Katrina Lee
- SAML, SSO & You
- Ever wonder what mechanics lie behind Single Sign-On (SSO)? How you can log into an application once, and find yourself automatically logged in when you access another? Here at Checkr, the Identity team is enabling SAML integrations with our partners to achieve just that. SAML is a standard protocol used by web browsers to enable SSO through the use of secure tokens. We'll discuss how SAML allows for a safe exchange of authentication and authorization data between parties, and how browsers can trust and protect your identity information across applications.
- SAML, SSO & You
- 8:00pm - 8:10pm - Audience QA
- 8:10pm - 9:00pm Networking
Why You Should Get to Know Checkr:
Checkr is making waves with their innovative hiring process! They're a platform that makes it easy for thousands of customers to hire millions of people every year. Today, only five years after Checkr started, the company is running one million background checks per month for more than 10,000 customers, allowing them to create a more efficient hiring process. Their impressive list of clients include Lyft, Grubhub and Zillow.
How You Fit In:
You may or may not be looking for new opportunities at the moment. Either way, we want you in the room with us! Also, Checkr is hiring, so we want to introduce women like you to their team and share stories and conversations.Their amazing benefits include flexible paid time off, meaningful equity, catered lunches, hands-on coaching and professional development, 12 weeks of paid family leave, and wellness & gym membership reimbursements.
Check out photos from our recent Checkr event HERE. Here is what one attendee had to say about our past event with Checkr: "I enjoyed the speakers and the content presented was great. I liked that the topics revolved around understanding women and diversity and how the company culture is fitting to involving more women. It looks like a very good company and full of great people."
About our Events: All RSVP'd attendees are welcome, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, or age. If you require accommodation to fully participate in this event, please email email@example.com, and we will contact you to discuss your specific needs.
Unfortunately, PowerToFly and Checkr cannot admit outside recruiters to this particular event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this policy.
Network with Audible's thought-leaders and connect on #PowerToFly.
Audible believes that companies can have hearts and souls and missions that transcend financial success — what a company means vs. what a company does.
If you're interested in joining their team, check out this video from our recent event in Newark, NJ, and visit Audible's page on PowerToFly to learn more about the company and their open roles.
Here's what one attendee had to say about the event: "Had an amazing time. Very informative and very impressed with the Audible footprint in Newark!"
Whether you're interested in building consumer facing software that's in the hands of millions of listeners globally or building behind the scenes systems that power what we do, Audible has an opportunity for you. Join a community that's growing at the speed of the spoken word.
Jobs for people who don't like people,
Some people can manage a disgruntled customer or picky client with ease. Some people would rather spontaneously combust than have to calmly resolve other people's problems all day. And that's okay: jobs exist for both subsets.
Teaching skills are transferable to a wide variety of markets. Leading classrooms and developing young minds requires huge stores of patience, empathy, strategic thinking, and communication ability that can translate to any number of careers—if you know how to sell yourself.
Who doesn't love a good side hustle? If you're serious about turning that side hustle into a real money-maker, either as an additional income stream or as an initial step in starting a full-time business, you're going to need an email list and an effective email marketing strategy.
How to Go Beyond Small Talk and Have Deeper Conversations
December is here, which means it's time for my favorite holiday song: 'tis the season to make small talk, fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la...