Agile Engineers Wanted at Dow Jones
Feb. 7th 2018
If you're an engineer, I'm sure at some point in your career you've held a job where taking time off just isn't an option. There are too many projects to complete, and you can't justify a lengthy vacation because it means missing this deadline or that conference. Forget taking time off to start a family or take care of an elder family member, life outside work just doesn't exist.
Luckily, it's not like that at Dow Jones.
Not only does Dow Jones have a Returnship program that gives professionals who have taken an extended break in their career an opportunity for a fresh start, but they offer flexible work with generous time off and parental leave for all. Dow Jones even hired a woman at 9 months pregnant to lead their tech team- talk about agile!
If you're an Engineer who thrives in a fast paced environment and is willing to go the extra mile for a company who is ready to invest in you and your success, keep reading for two opportunities you can't pass up.
For more opportunities with Dow Jones, make sure to follow them on PowerToFly and be the first to hear of any and all new events and job openings!
Software Engineer at Dow Jones
Dow Jones is looking for someone to join their cross-functional agile software team, to design, implement, and maintain their web applications in a highly collaborative environment.
Location: Minneapolis (MN) , New York (NY)
Employment Type: Full Time
- Participation in discussions about technology, design, UX, infrastructure and considering the pros/cons of a technology choice based on business value, scalability, maintainability and project delivery performance
- Support Dow Jones technical cultural values and are capable of driving toward solutions independently, seeking feedback when appropriate
- Maintain and share knowledge in emerging technologies and tools in the industryBeing able to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environmentShare a passion for design and technology
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Design or equivalent
- 2+ years experience developing web applications
- Proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals including web development, service-oriented architecture, cloud computing, test driven development and domain driven design
- Working knowledge of web based technologies with a combination of the following: Node.js, React, JSON, NoSQL, SQL
Senior Software Engineer at Dow Jones
Dow Jones is looking for someone to help play a key role in project development, implementation, and deployment on their engineering team.
Location: Minneapolis (MN), Princeton (NJ)
Employment Type: Full Time
- Working within the technology teams to build applications and architectures to support our Editorial, Data Acquisition, Database, and Data Distribution systems.
- Creating application and system architectures, working closely with other technical teams and can effectively communicate these architectures to senior management
- Defining and implementing application architecture models and programming standards with little direction needed.
- Defining and building the application development and maintenance environment (includes component and assembly test environments). This includes the design and implementation of the developers', testing, application monitoring/control, change management and implementation workbenches.
- Designing and implementing the process and repository for cataloguing and managing application code/constructs (software configuration management) and reusable application components.
- Responsibility for adherence to the implementation of software engineering methods/practices.Effectively communicating system enhancement needs and may play lead role in the solutions implementation.
- A minimum 5 years of experience with a Bachelor degree in Computer Science is required.
- Fluid in Information and System Architecture.
- Proficient in architectures (from Website to backend systems) with experience in application performance and API development.
- Understanding of Database technologies including Relational, SQL, and NoSQL.
- Experience designing and creating SQL relational database tables, views, indexes.Hands-on experience writing database SQL code including stored procedures, functions.
- Experience with both Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with architecting systems in a cloud-based computing environment, preferably Amazon AWS with tools such as Cloud Formation, Terraform, Jenkins, Chef, Artifactory.
- Experience in delivering Systems to an enterprise environment that requires standards for error handling, logging, storage, and networking.
- In-depth knowledge of communication protocols and understanding of XML, XHTML, DHTML, DOM, JSON and Web Services.Experience with designing load balanced/high performance (low latency) systems.
- Proven experience in developing with a Software Development Life Cycle, preferably agile.Excellent written and oral Communication Skills.
- Ability to translate business needs into technical requirements including architecture and design specifications.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams requiring coordination across multiple internal groups.
Preparing for the Unexpected: How Maria Fava Found Her Confidence as a Bicultural, Bilingual Woman at T. Rowe Price
Born in Mexico City and raised in Guadalajara, Maria Fava never would have predicted that she'd have a career in financial services. And certainly not in Maryland.
Over two decades ago, when Maria moved to the U.S. to study psychology at the University of Texas at Arlington, she'd planned on moving back to Mexico to study law after graduation. Instead, she fell in love with an unassuming Italian-American her senior year. She married him and moved to Maryland, his home state.
A five-step framework for addressing systematic racism at work
The world has changed in the past few weeks.
We're watching corporations and organizations across the world come out in support of Black lives in droves. Many of those organizations are doing so for the first time in their history.
I thought about writing this blog piece like one of those quizzes that used to be on the back pages of Seventeen and Cosmo where each question would offer several answers of varying point levels and you'd pick one answer per question, tally up your points at the end, and match your score to one of several possible results.
Meet Michelle Baker, a technical recruiter at Surescripts. She shared her top tips for applying to Surescripts.
Get a behind-the-scenes look at the company's interview process, culture, and values, and learn how you can best prepare for interviews!
To learn more about Surescripts and their open roles, click here.