Agile Engineers Wanted at Dow Jones
Feb. 7th 2018
If you're an engineer, I'm sure at some point in your career you've held a job where taking time off just isn't an option. There are too many projects to complete, and you can't justify a lengthy vacation because it means missing this deadline or that conference. Forget taking time off to start a family or take care of an elder family member, life outside work just doesn't exist.
Luckily, it's not like that at Dow Jones.
Not only does Dow Jones have a Returnship program that gives professionals who have taken an extended break in their career an opportunity for a fresh start, but they offer flexible work with generous time off and parental leave for all. Dow Jones even hired a woman at 9 months pregnant to lead their tech team- talk about agile!
If you're an Engineer who thrives in a fast paced environment and is willing to go the extra mile for a company who is ready to invest in you and your success, keep reading for two opportunities you can't pass up.
For more opportunities with Dow Jones, make sure to follow them on PowerToFly and be the first to hear of any and all new events and job openings!
Software Engineer at Dow Jones
Dow Jones is looking for someone to join their cross-functional agile software team, to design, implement, and maintain their web applications in a highly collaborative environment.
Location: Minneapolis (MN) , New York (NY)
Employment Type: Full Time
- Participation in discussions about technology, design, UX, infrastructure and considering the pros/cons of a technology choice based on business value, scalability, maintainability and project delivery performance
- Support Dow Jones technical cultural values and are capable of driving toward solutions independently, seeking feedback when appropriate
- Maintain and share knowledge in emerging technologies and tools in the industryBeing able to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environmentShare a passion for design and technology
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Design or equivalent
- 2+ years experience developing web applications
- Proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals including web development, service-oriented architecture, cloud computing, test driven development and domain driven design
- Working knowledge of web based technologies with a combination of the following: Node.js, React, JSON, NoSQL, SQL
Senior Software Engineer at Dow Jones
Dow Jones is looking for someone to help play a key role in project development, implementation, and deployment on their engineering team.
Location: Minneapolis (MN), Princeton (NJ)
Employment Type: Full Time
- Working within the technology teams to build applications and architectures to support our Editorial, Data Acquisition, Database, and Data Distribution systems.
- Creating application and system architectures, working closely with other technical teams and can effectively communicate these architectures to senior management
- Defining and implementing application architecture models and programming standards with little direction needed.
- Defining and building the application development and maintenance environment (includes component and assembly test environments). This includes the design and implementation of the developers', testing, application monitoring/control, change management and implementation workbenches.
- Designing and implementing the process and repository for cataloguing and managing application code/constructs (software configuration management) and reusable application components.
- Responsibility for adherence to the implementation of software engineering methods/practices.Effectively communicating system enhancement needs and may play lead role in the solutions implementation.
- A minimum 5 years of experience with a Bachelor degree in Computer Science is required.
- Fluid in Information and System Architecture.
- Proficient in architectures (from Website to backend systems) with experience in application performance and API development.
- Understanding of Database technologies including Relational, SQL, and NoSQL.
- Experience designing and creating SQL relational database tables, views, indexes.Hands-on experience writing database SQL code including stored procedures, functions.
- Experience with both Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with architecting systems in a cloud-based computing environment, preferably Amazon AWS with tools such as Cloud Formation, Terraform, Jenkins, Chef, Artifactory.
- Experience in delivering Systems to an enterprise environment that requires standards for error handling, logging, storage, and networking.
- In-depth knowledge of communication protocols and understanding of XML, XHTML, DHTML, DOM, JSON and Web Services.Experience with designing load balanced/high performance (low latency) systems.
- Proven experience in developing with a Software Development Life Cycle, preferably agile.Excellent written and oral Communication Skills.
- Ability to translate business needs into technical requirements including architecture and design specifications.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams requiring coordination across multiple internal groups.
7 Tips from SoftwareONE's Khristy Young
Khristy Young is used to working hard.
She came to the U.S. from the Philippines at 19, computer science degree in hand, and landed her first job in tech, working in frontline support, at 21.
Balancing two full-time jobs — as a mom and Director of Revenue Operations — has never been easy. Add to that the stress of the holiday season and a global pandemic, and your brain may well feel ready to explode.
If you're feeling overwhelmed these days, you're not alone. Hear how Ping Del Giudice, Director of Revenue Operations at Chainalysis and mother of two, has been coping amidst the chaos. (Spoiler alert: she's perfected her multitasking skills.)
What are your best work-life integration tips during this challenging time? Let us know in the comments.
Learn more about Chainalysis' culture here!
From Puzzle Solver to Data Detective: Rockstar Director of Analytics Caroline Peika Talks Data Analytics in the Gaming Industry
Caroline Peika has loved puzzles—and mystery novels—for just about as long as she can remember. Both are extensions of the same core interest: problem solving.