Meet Casper's Remarkable Engineering Team
Below is an article originally written by Alyse Borkan at PowerToFly Partner Casper, and published on February 17, 2017. Go to Casper's page on PowerToFly to see their open positions and learn more.
You sleep on it every night, but you probably don't stay up thinking about what goes into making a mattress comfortable. The same way a car is designed to drive smoothly on rough terrain and a laptop is engineered to load 30 internet tabs quickly, a mattress is meticulously created to sleep comfortably, support your entire body, and maintain its form for years to come.
Our renowned 30 person engineering team spends their days and nights in a lab researching foam compositions, testing new products, and discovering comfort. They are some of the best in the industry and their work continues to be applauded.
Want to learn more about them?
1. Our world-class product team came to Casper from Apple, Google, and IDEO.
2. Collectively, the team holds more than 50 patents!
3. The product team spent 9 months visiting 15 factories to test and understand the properties of 100+ foam samples before they fully designed the Casper mattress. They didn't leave a single material untouched.
4. When was the last time you heard about someone beta testing a mattress? Before Casper launched, we invited people from all walks of life to A/B test our most promising prototypes. We built beds that had two different constructions on each side to make it easy to test differences. Beta testers slept on one side while tracking their sleep, and then the other.
5. Casper has won way more awards than your average mattress. We've been named Fast Company's Most Innovative Company, Time Magazine's Best Invention of 2015, Digiday's Most Innovative Brand of 2016, and Casper products have taken home high honors from IDSA. That's the Industrial Designers Society of America.
6. The product team has spent the last two years making the most intricate adjustments to the Casper mattress. They have added a new fourth transition layer to soften the Casper at even its deepest layers. They've worked with a renowned polymer chemist to make our base foam more durable. They've made sure the Casper can retrain its outrageously comfortable feel in all climates and atmospheres.
8. The team has inspired millions at conferences across the globe. Jeff spoke at TedXchange, the WIRED UK conference, and Hustle Con. Neil, Casper co-founder and COO, has spoken at Fast Company's Design by Innovation Festival and Samsung's 837 pop-up alongside Padma Lakshmi and Lauren Bush. Neil is one of Fast Company's Most Creative People in Business, he was named on Forbes 30 under 30 and was invited to speak in Israel at the global 30 Under 30 Summit.
For the boss you loved, the coworker you hated, and everyone in between
Two things are inevitable when someone leaves your team at work: there will be an abundance of sweet treats (I'm partial to those giant cookie cakes from the mall) and there will be a card passed around for everyone to scrawl the professional version of sweet nothings in. Depending on the "importance" of the person, you may get the bonus activities of farewell gifts and/or an all-team champagne toast.
If you are a New York based tech professional and you'd like to attend this event, please email your name and LinkedIn URL to email@example.com.
Whether you are a software engineer, fitness enthusiast or both, you won't want to miss PowerToFly's evening of product demos and networking with the women tech leaders and allies at Peloton.
Founded in 2012, Peloton brought top talent together in its Silicon Alley headquarters to create a new concept in fitness. In their words, "We loved cycling but had a hard time finding a workout that consistently fit our schedules, and our at-home workouts never felt quite up to par. So, we set out to create a world-class indoor cycling studio experience on your time, and in the comfort of your own home."
This event is your chance to hear directly from the women tech leaders and allies who make their revolutionary products like the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread and Peloton App possible. We'll be devoting a large portion of the event to taking your questions and I know the Peloton team wants to hear from you!
The unique evening will take place on Wednesday, February 12th from 6pm to 8:30pm at 125 W 25th Street.
These Researchers Argue It Could Lead to Traditionally Female Jobs Becoming More Valued
Studies have found that as women take over male-dominated fields, the pay drops. So what happens when men start joining female-dominated fields?
There's a lot more to building an inclusive company than just hiring more people from diverse backgrounds. So, how can you build an inclusive culture that will help you attract and retain a diverse group of employees?
How This Sales Coach Found Success—And A Career Path—at the Intersection of Tech, Construction, & Sales
A few months ago, Lily Zintak found herself at a crossroads.
She'd been working as a Sales Development Representative in construction management software company Procore Technologies' Austin, Texas office for the better part of 18 months. She'd watched the office grow from less than 200 people to more than 400—and even cut the ribbon when they opened a new floor of offices. She'd made 50-plus sales calls a day, honed an approach to prospecting and connecting with clients that worked for her, and found success. It was at this point in her career, where she had to make a tough decision.