PowerToFly Holiday Gift Guide: Our Must-Have Work-From-Home Items
What To Buy For Your Favorite Remote Worker (Or Yourself!)
My friends were pretty jealous when I told them I'd found a remote job. They pictured me choosing my hours, working from the comfort of my bed, and rocking pajamas 24/7. All great things... in moderation.
Just a little over a month into my role at PowerToFly, I've already experienced many of the pros and cons of working from home. I know I'm not alone in this - the remote workforce is only growing (9 million people in the U.S. alone worked from home at least half of the time in 2017).
The beauty of remote work is that it lets you decide what kind of environment you'll be most productive in… but the downside is that if you don't build that environment for yourself, you might find you've got a lot of back pain (turns out, working from bed isn't so comfortable after all) and not much energy.
So in the spirit of the holidays, I asked my more experienced remote coworkers to share their must-have work-from-home items - the little things that keep them sane and smiling during their daily grind.
Whether you already work from home, are looking to do so in the future, or are shopping for someone who does (cough cough, Mom), this holiday gift guide is for you.
1. Blue light glasses to protect your eyes from long hours looking at the computer (and to keep you looking sharp at the same time).
Our Senior Marketing & Community Manager Lauren says: "I've never worn glasses EVER, but when I started working remotely my eyes got so tired. I've seen a huge difference after I started wearing blue light glasses, and no headaches!"
2. A bullet journal to help you stay on top of your goals. So you know you're being productive even when your boss can't literally pat you on the back.
Our Customer Success Associate Brinley says: "I use it for everything – hand-drawn calendar, to-do lists, and even personal stuff like budget planning and weekly goals."
3. A laptop tray so you can be productive from wherever you're most comfortable. (You haven't really worked from home until you've worked from your bed.)
Our Recruiting Manager Amy says: "I love my laptop tray!!! you can fit your planner, your laptop and most importantly, your coffee."
4. A productivity planner to help you become more intrinsically motivated. (Ideal for those lacking the artistic talents required for bullet journaling.)
Our President and Cofounder Katharine says: "It helps me manage and protect my time so that when I have creative work that requires a lot of focus, I can break it down into short, intense chunks and be more efficient."
5. A stylish stone diffuser that brings your favorite scent to wherever you're working.
Our Senior Account Executive Anastasia says: "Right now I'm working in a room that smells like a forest after a light rain." I've definitely never heard anyone say that about their cubicle.
6. A gym/workout class membership to keep you active (and sane) during the week - because exercise makes you happy and being happy makes you more productive! And a little bit of human interaction doesn't hurt, either.
Our Mid-Market Account Executive Deveshe says: "It's important for me to get out, shake a leg and jump around. Otherwise I wouldn't step out through the week."
7. A Peloton stationary bike so you can get in a great workout even when it's too cold to leave the house. (And once you invest this much money, you know damn well you'll actually use it, or lose ten pounds from gnawing guilt alone. Win-win.)
Our Operations Manager Gina says: "It allows me to stay fit no matter how busy I am…I can exercise during my lunch hour or in between meetings if need be."
8. A backpack with a dedicated fleece-lined laptop compartment to keep all of your equipment protected and organized, whether you're traveling across the world or walking across the street to your favorite cafe.
Our Director of Customer Success Cristina says: "Love it for packing my laptop and tech items as it has tons of pockets Including fleece lined ones for tech."
9. Bluetooth headphones with immersive sound so you'll never miss a word your boss says.
Our Director of Business Development Amanda says: "I can get up and move around the house while I'm on calls."
10. A battery case for your phone so you can work wherever you want, without running out of juice.
Our Production Lead Rob says: "When traveling, I have to have my iPhone charging case."
11. A speaker to listen to your favorite music/podcasts when the sound of silence is just too much.
Our Production Lead Rob says: "Working from home can get lonely sometimes so I love to play WNYC or podcasts when I feel like I need some company. I'm also a big vinyl collector and I have a turntable that can play wirelessly to a Sonos so even though my record player is in my living room, I can listen to it in my office."
12. An adjustable laptop stand that your wrists and your wallet (it's definitely cheaper than carpel tunnel surgery in the U.S.) will thank you for. Plus, this one doubles as a standing desk.
Our Customer Success Manager Lola says: "I'm using a box right now, but you definitely need something to elevate your computer."
13. A mate gourd and yerba mate, a.k.a the perfect workmates. Get the jolt you need without the jitters and gain your South American friends' approval at the same time.
Our DevOps Lead Emiliano says: "Very Argentinean, but definitely something that cannot be missing from my desk."
14. A foot massager to reward yourself for a job well done. Who says your home office can't double as a home spa? Work hard, relax hard.
Our Product Designer Jedidah says: "Sitting in one spot can get strenuous on muscles in my leg, but with my foot massager I get to improve blood flow in that area, and enjoy a great foot massage which eases stress."
My coworker Anastasia said it best:
I love that working from home you get to take charge of your surroundings - I'm never cold like I am in offices (the male vs. female divide there ha). And I like me some good ambiance which is obviously subjective too so I appreciate being able to control it alllll myself.
So take charge of your surroundings and make 2019 your most productive - and comfortable - year yet!
Virtual talks for women by women to give you the edge you need to elevate your career. Includes discounts to our bootcamp partners, invites to events and more.Subscribe
Do your part, build your network, and come to a PowerToFly event near you.
We love meeting new people at our in-person events.
Meet Shweta Saraf, Director of Engineering at DigitalOcean
We've all heard the rallying cry, "We need more women in STEM!" And don't get us wrong, we agree!
But when it comes to women's representation in tech, Shweta Saraf, Director of Engineering at DigitalOcean, knows that actions speak louder than words.
If you've ever asked yourself, "What is a good salary, really?" while analyzing an offer letter or doing end-of-year accounting to figure out if you should ask for a raise, you are not alone. In fact, a 2017 PayScale study suggests that over two-thirds of working adults don't know the market rate for their role.
As competition rises, software companies that want to succeed are investing in good, efficient customer support teams. Companies today know the importance of skilled customer support representatives on board, and the industry is growing rapidly.