Because you don't need to be a "tech person" to work at a tech company.
[This article was first written on April 24th, 2020 and was updated on August 10th, 2021.]
People in all industries and fields have felt the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, but it's no secret that some fields have been hit harder than others. The information technology sector stands to fare relatively well, as their products continue to be in high (or even higher than usual) demand during lockdown – just consider Zoom and Netflix.
So what should this mean for you if you're on the job market? Tech companies are an ideal place to look for roles — and by necessity, these companies are hiring remotely and offering unprecedented amounts of flexibility. While some companies may be looking to make remote hires who would later transition to in-office staff, it's unlikely that they'll rescind work-from-home flexibility all together.
The best part? Software engineers aren't the only ones that can benefit from tech companies hiring remotely. You can work in tech without being highly technical. (Though if you are an engineer, we've got hundreds of open remote roles for you to check out!)
So if you're on the job market, consider the open remote roles listed below with tech companies that are still hiring! We've created four clusters of opportunity for you to consider depending upon your skillset and expertise:
MARKETING, PRODUCT, & USER EXPERIENCE
If you enjoy working cross-functionally, and are equal parts creative and analytical, one of these roles might be perfect for you:
- Senior Product Marketing Manager, Relativity
- Entry Level Marketing Specialist, Pitney Bowes Inc.
- Director, Growth Marketing, SevenFifty
- Senior UX Content Strategist, Procore Technologies Inc.
- Director of Marketing Planning and Transformation, PagerDuty
- Product Marketing Manager Analyst, Okta
- SEO Manager, Web and Digital Services, Dell Technologies
- Senior Solutions Marketing Manager, Commvault
- Marketing Manager, Helm
OPERATIONS, FINANCE, & LEGAL
Calling all accountants, lawyers, and logistics gurus! The great thing about these roles is that if you have expertise in logistics, finance/accounting, or law, you'll be set up for success, no matter what sector you're working in.
- Legal Operations Administrator, Smartsheet Inc.
- Customer Operations Manager, Hopin LTD
- Strategic Finance, Senior Manager, Spin (Ford Mobility)
- Finance Analyst / Program Cost Controls, Raytheon Technologies
- Executive Assistant – Global Finance, Nike Inc.
- Director Business Operations, Elastic
- Senior Privacy Counsel, Hopin LTD
- Global Agency Specialist Partner, Microsoft Corporation
If you're an analytical and detail-oriented task manager with a passion for delivering results on time and under budget, one of these roles might be perfect for you! (P.S. If you're confused about how these roles differ from product management, you can learn more about the difference between project and product management here.)
- Product Manager, Uber
- Client Facing Project Manager, Rebelmouse
- Technical Product Manager, Stack Overflow
- Associate Product Manager, Mural
- Product Manager, Overtime
- Global Service Product Manager, Waters Corporation
- Director of Product Management, Enterprise, SeatGeek
- Associate Product Manager, American Express
SALES AND SUPPORT
Love working with clients and talking to people? One of these customer-facing roles in sales or support might be your ideal role:
- Sales Development Representative, VideoAmp
- Customer Relationship Manager, LogMeIn
- Sales Support Associate - Global Accounts, Equinix
- Enterprise Account Executive, Gainsight Inc.
- Technical Account Manager, JW Player
- Director, Enterprise Sales, Datadog
- Director of Sales & Marketing, AvenueHQ
- Associate Director, Sales & Operations Management, S&P Global
Don't see a job that's a good fit? Sign up for customized job alerts here.
After partnering with Flexport, the innovative company that's combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise to revolutionizing global trade, we were super excited to reunite for a new event, this time in New York City.
This intimate evening for skilled professionals working in sales and operations took place on September 10th at Flexport's inviting New York office and was hosted by PowerToFly CEO Milena Berry. As our guests arrived, they had a chance to network with their peers and members of the Flexport team while enjoying complimentary (and delicious!) food and refreshments.
Things kicked off with a warm keynote address by Flexport's Kara Shapiro, Senior Manager of Accounts, who then joined our informative panel of Flexport women leaders that also included Thea Dolan, Global Operations Manager; Maryana Kessel, Senior Global Account Executive; and Jessica Tissera, Sales Development Manager. After answering some questions from Milena, our four speakers dedicated the rest of their time to taking questions from the audience.
Before the night moved back into networking, our guests received a special treat. Using their gifted Flexport notebooks and pens, Program Manager Bri Lopez walked our attendees through an insightful activity about "crafting your job", geared at identifying the tasks (and teammates) that both give and detract from your work energy. (By the way, if you'd like a copy of Bri's presentation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Here's what one attendee had to say about the event: "Thank you and PowerToFly for organizing such a welcoming and informative event at Flexport tonight. I came away feeling energized and enthusiastic about my search for my next role. It is uplifting to see first hand that companies do exist where mind-blowing, technology-enabled customer service, collaboration and problem solving are core values that are lived by the leaders and the teams every day!"
If you are interested in learning more about Flexport, including their open roles, just visit their page on PowerToFly.
A great chance to meet other skilled professionals!
Networking over food and drinks.
PowerToFly's Milena Berry and Flexport's Maryana Kessel
A full house at the event.
A look at our panel discussion.
Flexport's Bri Lopez leads our job crafting activity.